Sawantwadi – the idyllic town on the west coast of India. This is one of the best options for you if you love toys, arts and handicrafts and looking to get the best ever experience in terms of an excellent tourist requirements. So, you have included the city in your itinerary this year. Good, but, how would you reach there? Of course, the city is well connected to major cities and towns through trains, air and road transport. Let us check out the nearest railway station if you want to reach Sawantwadi by train. We will share all the important information needed for reaching the city through train along with the tidbits about the city and its railway station.
Sawantwadi Road Railway Station – General Info
Before we can explore more details about reaching Sawantwadi through a train journey, let us clarify that Sawantwadi does not have a railway station that would pass through the city. The nearest railway station is named Not as Sawantwadi Railway Station, but as Sawantwadi Road Railway Station. That should ideally explain the status of the Sawantwadi Road Railway Station.
The Sawantwadi Railway Station is located on the Konkan Railway route that runs between Mangalore and Mumbai. The station is located at a distance of 363.880 kilometers from the origin. The railway station on the route that precedes Sawantwadi Road railway station is Zarap Railway Station towards, Madgaon, Goa and the succeeding station is Madure Railway station towards Panvel, Maharashtra.
- Name of the Station – Sawantwadi Road Railway Station
- Track construction – Single Track – Electrification
- Address – Redi- Belagavi SH-123, Village Niravade, Taluka Sawantwadi, Dist. Sindhudurg- 416510
- Elevation from Sea Level – 40 m
- Railway Zone as per Indian Railways – KR (Konkan Railway)
- Division – Ratnagiri
- Contact numbers – 02363-258315
- Nearest Airport – Dabolim Airport, Goa at a distance of 57 kms
- Type of station – Regular
- Number of platforms – Three
- Number of trains that halt at the station – 22
- Number of trains that originate from the station – Three
- Number of Trains that terminate at the station – Three
- Station Code – SWV
Nearest Railway Stations –
Madure – 8 kms
Zarap – 11 kms
Pernem – 18 kms
Sindhudurg – 32 kms
Sawantwadi Road Railway Station Time Table
The following table should provide you a good deal of information on the trains that halt at Sawantwadi Road Railway Station. Please note that the details provided here are for information purposes only. Do note that it would be important to go with official sources before beginning your actual journey.
|Train Number||Train name|
|01229||LTT Madgaon AC special|
|10111||Konkan Kanya Express|
|11003||Rajya Rani Express|
|12742/12741||Patna Vasco Express|
|22150/22149||Pune Ernakulam Superfast express|
|09418||Delhi Ahmedabad junction|
|09056||Patna Surat Premium|
|01006||Latur Mumbai Express|
|09010||Mangalore to Mumbai|
|11086||Madgaon Mumbai Double Decker|
How to reach Sawantwadi City from the Railway Station
Like we said before, the Sawantwadi Railway station is in the Niravade village on the outskirts of the Sawantwadi city. This can indeed be confusing for the travelers who arrive for the first time to the city. The station is located around 7 km away from the Sawantwadi Bus stand.
The distance can be covered in around 11 minutes if you have a car or hire one from the railway station. There are auto-rickshaws are available that will help you reach Sawantwadi Bus stop easily. If you have rented a vehicle from Sawantwadi Railway station, the exact directions as per the Google maps reads as follows –
- Head north-west towards Railway Station Rd/Redi – Belagavi Rd – 47 m
- Turn right at Hotel Laukik onto Railway Station Rd/Redi – Belagavi Rd – 0.6 km
- Turn right at Titha Railway Station Bus Stop onto Redi – Belagavi Rd/MH SH 123Continue to follow MH SH 123
- Pass by Ravindra Mangal Karyalaya (on the left in 6.0 km) – 6.3 km
- Turn right at Milagris Church Rickshaw Stop onto Milagris Church Rd
- Pass by Shantai Foods Factory Shop (on the right) – 0.3 km
- At SPK College Bus Stop, continue onto Garden Rd – 79 m
- Turn left onto Goa Rd/Sawantwadi Rd
- Pass by Sapna Enterprises Tata Sky New connection (on the right in 750 m) – 0.8 km
- Turn right at Raghunandan Holidays onto Edapally – Panvel Hwy/Main Rd/Mumbai Goa Hwy/Redi – Belagavi Rd
- Pass by SHUBHANGI OPTICS (on the left) – 0.1 km
- Turn left at Bombay Travels – 0.1 km & Turn Right
You would have arrived in the Sawantwadi main city.
Hotels near Sawantwadi Railway station
An announcement was recently made by Konkan Railways that a state of the art Residential Hotel will be developed in the properties owned by Konkan Railways. The hotel will come up in the vicinity of the station.
The new hotel has been planned as a joint venture between Konkan Railways and Maharashtra State Tourism Development Corporation. The hotel is expected to have a minimum of 20 rooms and will also host recreational facilities for the passengers. It has been considered to be a viable project, thanks to the proximity of the location to Goa at 99 kms and Amboli Hill station at 31 kms. The new hotel has been planned to be completed by Ganesh Chaturthi next year. The Detailed Project Report or DPR is being developed MTDC, and the tendering is beginning soon.
Check out our detailed post on Best Hotels in Sawantwadi
Well, that was all we had with the Sawantwadi Road railway station. In fact, the station has received a good review from the passengers frequenting it. The cleanliness, escalators, food and safety precautions at the station have received good reviews.
The Amboli Hill station is one of the most exciting destinations you may find practically interesting enough. It is located at a distance of just 31 kms, and you can plan sightseeing to the location while at the Sawantwadi Road railway station.